Monday 20 February 2012

5 Best Eat-outs in Sheung Wan (1) - Long Kei Siu Mei

Note from the author: As I won't be working in Sheung Wan area soon, I decide to start this series about my personal choice of the best eat-outs in the area. I will write about five places and hope you would enjoy it.

Most Centralists agree that Kam Wah serves the best Cha Siu, a traditional Cantonese barbeque using skin-less lean pork as contrast to Siu Yuk. It is on every guide-book, praised about on every food web and even talked about on Facebook from time to time. Kam Wah as to Cha Siu is similar to Barcelonah as to the world of football.

Recently, however, I found a challenger.

Its name is Long Kei Siu Mei.

Entrance

Located amidst the wet market in Sheung Wan, Long Kei is so different from Kam Wah as if they lie on a different end of a rope. Long Kei has a lack of fancy layout: greasy floor, raw suckling pigs hanging around, a filthy toilet that a customer could easily see from the service area; with an English menu, Kam Wah appeals to foreigners and tourists while most customers of Long Kei are locals; the customer service is not up to the standard as waitors talk to the customers as loud as they shout orders to the chef.

Hopefully, you won't lost your appetite...

But food is awesome.

Cha Siu is made from lean pork meat and yet is tender and smooth. Its red color is natural enough. It is served in a humble soya sauce as contrast to the thick, brown sauce served in Kam Wah. I simply like the former better.

Rice with Cha Siu

I have also tried roast goose leg with rice. The goose leg is as not as fat as those served in most siu mei places in Hong Kong. The cubes of fat, which I hate, are not present beneath the skin. The well-roasted skin is marvellously crispy. And it is for 45 dollars, one-third cheaper than that served by Kam Wah.

Just for 45 dollars, are you kdding me?

Overall, I love Long Kei as it is a good example of what a traditional siu mei place should be. Simply a great place for a quick lunch.


After a meal of mostly meat, time to have some green

Long Kei Siu Mei, G/F, 5 Gage Street, Central

1 comment:

  1. When I recently arrived to HK I was scared of eating in those small, dirty, traditional restaurants. My favorite siu mei place was Tai Hing. Luckily, after some years living in the Asian concrete jungle I've learned to love this small, dirty, and amazing places where you usually get the best food in Hong Kong. I've already spotted this place in Central. I will pay them a visit soon.

    ReplyDelete