Tuesday 21 February 2012

5 Best Eat-outs in Sheung Wan (2) Gold Cafe

Note from the author: As I won't be working in Sheung Wan area soon, I decide to start this series about my personal choice of the best eat-outs in the area. I will write about five places and hope you would enjoy it. I wrote about Long Kei Siu Mei in my last piece.

Most will agree that restaurants in Hong Kong are expensive, especially those on the Hong Kong Island. One bowl of noodles with fish balls costs over 35 dollars and a meal with a drink from Cafe De Coral, a notorious restaurant-chain, is around 40 dollars. On a hot summer day, an icy drink may cost you three dollars more than a hot drink.

Recently, I have found a good deal in Sheung Wan.

The name of the restaurant is Gold Cafe.

Located at a convenient spot across Cosco Tower, Gold Cafe is a small, crowded place serving food from milk-tea of cha chaan teng to Western cuisine.

As a mean of cost reduction, the soup is obviously from a can

I have tried a lunch meal of beef steak with lamb. The steak is a bit salty while the lamb is tender and juicy. Rice is short grain and shines like crystals. The meal is inexpensive (42 dollars with a soup and a drink).

Could you tell it is from a cha chaan teng?

Tea set is also my recommendation. I like the fish fillet with salad or fries. The fish fillet is a white cod deep-fried at your order and is so hot that it is going to burn your mouth. The salad comprises lots of apples and some other fruits but with a slightly excess of dressing.

A bit too much dressing

I recommend Gold Cafe if you like Hong Kong style Western food but want to pay a low price.

Gold Cafe, G/F, 3 Jervois Street, Sheung Wan

2 comments:

  1. It looks like an interesting place to try HK-style Western dishes. I usually prefer HK-style fusion dishes, but this one looks good.

    ReplyDelete