Wednesday 22 February 2012

5 Best Eat-outs in Sheung Wan (3) Sheung Wan Canteen (上環食堂)

Note from the author: As I won't be working in Sheung Wan area soon, I decide to start this series about my personal choice of the best eat-outs in the area. I will write about five places and hope you would enjoy it. I wrote about Long Kei Siu Mei and Gold Cafe in my last two pieces.

Hong Kong people hardly cook. They are busy at work. They have no time to cook or to learn how to cook. They consume MSG-infested, meat-intensive meals during lunch. Many of them tell me that they miss home food: steamed rice, poached vegetables, minced pork, chicken wings in soya sauce and, most importantly, home-made soup.

There is one eat-out in Sheung Wan serving Hong Kong home food.

Its name is Sheung Wan Canteen.

Sheung Wan Canteen serves set menus consisting of a bowl of soup, a bowl of rice, two side dishes at your choice.

Home-made soup

Soups served are usually home soups such as chicken feet with peanuts or carrots with lean pork. With hardly any oil stains on its surface, the soup gives you warmth and relieves your thirst.

Side dishes are common home food. Braised pork with dried vegetables. Steamed fish. Minced pork. Chicken wings in soya sauce. Scrabbed eggs with cha siu. Those dishes are rare in Sheung Wan area where most Chinese restaurants are either fancy or cha chaan teng.

One high point of Sheung Wan Canteen is it serves a large portion of vegetables, which give you a break from your siu mei and burgers.

Pork with lots of vegetables

Located at the third floor of a new commercial building in the area, Sheung Wan Canteen may have avoid a high rental price and that is why its meals are great deals (30 dollars for a meal with two side dishes, 40 dollars for three side dishes).

I highly recommend Sheung Wan Canteen to those who want to try something that reminds them of home and to those who want to know what we eat at home.

Sheung Wan Canteen, 3/F, 50 Wing Lok Street, Sheung Wan

P.S. Sheung Wan Canteen is an English translation I made for the restaurant, and its original name is 上環食堂.

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!! The pork looks delicious!! I doubt they open on weekends, as I can't go during weekdays for lunch. Maybe I can try going one day for dinner.

    ReplyDelete