Thursday 1 March 2012

5 Best Eat-outs in Sheung Wan Final: Coco Espresso

Note from the author: As I won't be working in Sheung Wan area soon, I decide to start this series about my personal choice of the best eat-outs in the area. I will write about five places and hope you would enjoy it. I wrote about a siu mei restaurant, a restaurant which serves Hong Kong style Western food, a Hong Kong home-food place and a burger stand in my previous posts.

When I first worked in Sheung Wan area almost four years ago, I was searching for a good coffee place. Thanks to the exchange trip to San Diego in the States, I learnt the basics of being a barista. I could tamp the coffee powder. I could froth the milk until the latter shines and becomes smooth. I could pull an espresso shot that has a nice crema. I despised the coffee scene in Hong Kong, especially that in the Central and Sheung Wan area, where most of the cafes are either Starbucks or Pacific Coffee, chains that mass-produce caffeine drinks of low quality.

Until I passed this shop.
I peeked into the shop where a man was working on his coffee. His dedication shames most of the baristas in chain-stores. He tamped the coffee powder, pulled the shot, frothed the milk. All in a seamless way.

I went in the shop, drank a cup of latte, and decide that I had made a good choice, which later was proven to be one of my best choices in the past 4 years working in Sheung Wan.

The cafe is called Coco Espresso.

Doppio

Coco Espresso serves great drinks. Drinks are usually made by the owner, Johnson, or his assistant, Grace, and are often of superb quality. Its house-blend espresso has a nutty flavour with a strong after-taste. Coco Espresso also features other kinds of coffee beans, which gives you a totally different experience. 

Cafe Latte with great foam!

Milk-based drinks such as cafe latte and cappuccino are very good. The frothed milk is silky and soft. The baristas, however, are not into latte art, and so you could hardly any fancy drinks in the coffee shop.

Pasta with chicken fillet

Home-made cheese cake is served all day. Pasta and sandwiches are served during lunch hour. All good but most customers seek a great of cup of coffee in Coco Espresso. As the owner said, "They are addicted and need at least one every day." So do you.

Coco Espresso, G/F, 197 Queens Road Central, Sheung Wan

2 comments:

  1. I've been here several times and the coffee is amazing! I hope one day I can make it for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a must try. Best coffee in Sheung Wan.

      Delete